Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer

The Ultimate Sacrifice.

Calla has always welcomed war. But now that the final battle is upon her, there’s more at stake than fighting. There’s saving Ren, even if it incurs Shay’s wrath. There’s keeping Ansel safe, even if he’s been branded a traitor. There’s proving herself as the pack’s alpha, facing unnamable horrors, and ridding the world of the Keepers’ magic once and for all. And then there’s deciding what to do when the war ends. If Calla makes it out alive, that is. 




I'm not really sure where I should start with this.  *sits for five minutes*

I'm going to start with a disclaimer. Recently - the paranormal genre hasn't been grabbing me as much as it did in 2011. So while, this story didn't grab me like the first two installments, it was still a very good book.
There is a spoiler at the end of this blog - I need to vent it out - so if you haven't read the book and plan to, do NOT read the last paragraph.

The love triangle remains in tact except we really get to see that Ren does love Calla.  We already know that Shay does. But a reader could infer that Ren only wanted Calla because she was the alpha.  In the book it becomes a legit love triangle. Though because Calla can't seem to choose and is drawn to both, she leads both guys on. I had a problem with this, because someone pointed it out to me. She's the alpha - dominant, self-assured, and she can't pick. I dunno - it seemed wishy washy looking back at the series. Had she been a legit alpha like she claims to be, she would have been with Ren, right? OK that could be Team Ren coming out in me.

There are a lot of characters in this book to manage. But all characters got an "end" so to speak. I knew where everyone stood. No body just disappeared from the story. I didn't find myself going: Oh, what happened to so and so? Speaking of the end, I was a bit surprised at how it did come together. It was different, but happy.

My favorite aspect of the book was Adne and Ren. I thought it was a sweet moment, finding family, being wolves and I think the loss of Monroe (and Emile) really endeared me to their relationship.

OK SPOILER TIME. DO NOT READ BELOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO READ THIS BOOK.











Seriously? Ren had to die? And not even in a: I am going to save my Lily type of way. That jerk face Emile got to do it? GRR. It was at this point that I really got angry with the book and Calla. Im not sure why with Calla but I was.

And hi - Cosette - did she really have to kill herself -


I forever will be on Team Ren.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear Lord. I can't wait to read this and write a lovely (check sarcastic tone) review about it, like I did with Wolfsbane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TEAM REN foreverrrrr!! Bloodrose sucked! I'm sorry, but it was my least favorite. I don't even know if i'll write a review for it :( im just sooo mad!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know D. Once again we are on the same page. Team Ren forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a bad thing - I peeked at several parts of the book, so I've spoiled myself - but it's okay. *sighs* I HATE death's like Ren's. I just don't get why authors do it. A death to me should be heroic, not nonsensical. :( I'm Team Shay but I do love Ren and it seemed like he had so much potential. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree Molli about Ren's death. I wanted some sort of vindication for the guy. His life really kinda sucked.

    ReplyDelete