Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Disovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness


Sometimes scholars should be more careful: Youthful researcher Diana Bishop briefly consults an medieval alchemical manuscript; then, after jotting down a few notes, sends it back to its prison in the stacks. Unfortunately for Diana, her quick dabbling has unleashed a long suppressed curse—and now only she can break the spell. Carefully researched, this debut novel will appeal to fans of historical novel infused with strong paranormal elements.

The synopsis doesn't give you much. Diana is a young woman that is studying alchemy and comes across a book Ashmore 782 and she sends the supernatural world in to chaos. Daemons (genius/insane) vampires, and witches start to come after Diana and in comes the man (yes, folks I have a crush on an adult male character) Matthew Clairmont, a vampire and a pretty smokin hot one at that. He's after the book, just like everyone else, except, something in him changes and he starts to fall for Diana and as hard as she tries, Diana starts to fall for him too. They believe that the supernatural world is after Diana, then it changes to Diana and Matt, and then it goes to evolution and a much bigger picture.

Diana - really hates the thought of magic in her life and she really tries to stay away from it, but it is innately part of her. She blames magic for her parents death when she was 7. Can you blame her? Diana is a very strong, independent - can't realize that other people are looking out for her character.

Matthew - He is extremely protective of Diana - like he would rip off his own son's head if he mad a threatening move toward Diana. He's extremely smart and extremely old. - but really he is about 37 looks wise.

Nadine suggested this book to me and she told me I would not be sorry and she was right. I started reading the book and I wasn't enthralled. I went camping and this story kept creeping into my head. I wanted to know what was happening to Diana and Matthew. It's a great read, especially if you are on team vampire.

Some quick thoughts:
The sequel doesn't come out until next summer ahhhhhhhhhh
I wonder if other supernatural creatures will appear
Diana is like an un-tapped uber witch
Matthew is holding out on the whole touchy feely stuff - killing me.
You need to pick it up folks!

5 comments:

  1. I liked most of this book, but thought it was silly at the end. I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book too. I am looking forward to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sam - Im sorry it fizzled for you at the end.
    @ Anne - Do you know if they have set the date for the sequel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review---I can't tell you how many times I've almost ordered this book! Based on your review, I think I need to get it! It sounds fascinating and nothing like I thought it would be!

    Thanks for sharing and helping me make my decision (finally!) on getting this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristi- I really think you should get it! I can't wait for your review!

    ReplyDelete