Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Reckoning by Kelly Armstrong



My name is Chloe Saunders. I'm fifteen, and I would love to be normal.

But normal is one thing I'm not.

For one thing, I'm having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother—who just happens to be a sorcerer—but, between you and me, I'm leaning toward the werewolf.

Not normal.

My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us—permanently.

Definitely not normal.

And finally, I'm a genetically altered necro-mancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.

As far away from normal as it gets.



Spoilers in this one... DEREK AND CHLOE! I am happy about it but at the start of Book 1 I would have picked Simon for her. Armstrong is tricky. I was so frustrated every time that Derek and Chloe would get so close to kissing and then someone would interrupt! Until the last two pages!!! I wanted to scream "Finally!" I wonder if she intended for them to be together at the end of Book 1. Anyone know?

I thought Book 3 had a lot more action in it and all the action was leading up to the big event, where I felt Book 1 and 2 were leading up to Book 3 and that was it. I don't want that to discourage anyone from reading this series because I thought it was really good. By the way, is The Gathering part of this series or is it a spin-off? But back to the action. There was a lot more death in this one, and I loved how all of them (except Andrew) came to the foursomes aid, even if some of them were really pissed off about it.

What about the demi-demon and demon Chloe raised? I felt that wasn't explored very well. Along with Royce's story. I wanted to know about his situation more. I wanted to know what exactly made him crazy. I think it would be very interesting. Maybe a spin-off? Royce also led me to believe, along with how Chloe answers herself all the time, that she is already starting to go crazy.

Where did Kit come from? Glad he showed up in the end but I felt it was like BAM - He's here!

Some quick thoughts
I want Aunt Lauren and Kit to date :)
What about Chloe's father - he just dropped off the map
Tori's mom what a BEEP
Did I mention I loved the kissing between Derek and Chloe?!
I wished we could know more about the Simon/Tori/Kit situation

On a side note: My birthday is approaching and I always get a ton of gift certificates to get books. Any suggestions on a book you recently read that you think is a must read? Or a series that should be on every paranormal YA lover's shelf? And tell me why.



3 comments:

  1. My sister and I just sped through this series and loved it. I was on Team Derek from the beginning, I loved the fact that he had acne like a real teenager. :)
    I felt like there should have been more after, though, but I think Kelley Armstrong has started a new connecting trilogy...

    As for paranormal books, have you read Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon? I read it a few days ago and it was completely unlike anything I had ever read before and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lieder Have you read the connecting trilogy?? I have not heard about Kenyon, but I will def. check it out. Thanks for the author

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it. Yet. Book 1 of the Darkness Rising series, The Gathering, came out last month and it really looks like it will connect at some point or at the very least take place in the same "world." I just read the first 9 chapters online and I am very excited! (here is a link: http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/the-gathering/)
    It is so cool to find a book set in the Pacific Northwest. I have been to some of the places in the story. :)

    ReplyDelete